Sunday, July 10, 2011

S'rooms

Last year the Farmers Market took the holidays off...and we got complaints...this year we were open on the Fourth of July and had less than 25 customers: go figure....we won't do that again...we're closed on National holidays.  So, because we didn't have the customers guess who ends up with a couple cases of mushrooms?  After watering the garden the first half of my Saturday, the second half was used canning and drying mushrooms.  I had a case of criminis and a case of huge portabellas.  The criminis were sliced up and canned, the portabellas were sliced and dried. I made mushroom stock with the stems and trimmings (I used The French Laundry recipe) and will can that later today.  I think I have enough mushrooms for the coming year!

4 comments:

Dirt Lover said...

I've never canned mushrooms. That would be pretty handy to have in the pantry, though. Good for you! Also, what is the French Laundry recipe??
~~Lori

Patricia said...

Again, I learn something. I did not know you could can mushrooms. I suppose I should have thought of that, but usually, I never have enough to can. I buy what I need and eat mushroom risotto!

Prairie Cat said...

Oh gosh. I could eat my weight in mushrooms. I have been wantinf to try to grow them, but I think I am going to have to put that endeavor off until next year.

Leigh said...

Wow, this looks fantastic. I've dried mushrooms before, but canned is a great idea. Love those portobellos !