Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Break

I have really been looking forward to Spring Break.  When you share your days with school teachers and students you anticipate the vacations just like they do.  I was sick for the entire Winter Break...really sick.   So now we have Spring Break and I hightailed it to the Cabin where I immediately got sick!  This time from the fireplace! The chimney needs to be swept ( I'll get that done week after next).  I almost offed myself from carbon monoxide poisoning and this is the SECOND time I've done that!  A few years ago our pellet stove was leaking and I got sick.   My 10 day cabin vacation was cut way too short and now I'm home working in the garden...where I should be anyway...lots to do there!
The Creek At The Cabin
The Firepit Needs a Bit of Work
Celery In the Garden
Figs! I Planted this Twig Last Year! Just Stuck
The Stick in a Pot with Planting Mix!
Soon We'll Have Strawberries
And Artichokes!
I'm managing the Farmers Market again this year.  I plan on offering eggs, tomatoes, watermelon and lots of sweet corn.  My son has planted several large plots for me and we've staggered the plantings so we'll get a nice long season...he just received another shipment of corn from Johnny's that will go in next week.  California has passed the Cottage Food Act and I'll have honey, bread and soft pretzels to offer, too.
We Haven't Used This Variety Before
Three Big Bags!  F1 Hybrid...

8 comments:

Steve said...

Around here, school breaks mean work at another place, usually sports of one kind or another. Nice you got to get away a bit.

Also nice to see the Food Act passed. We had a fright at our market here, with some friends maybe having to stop selling.

Tami said...

You continue to amaze me! I'm trying to slow it down and you're speeding up!

Plus that amazing green thumb of yours! A stick with figs on it already. Year 4 with my apple sticks and nothing so far. Could you sprinkle some dust my way please?

Anonymous said...

You are such a good homesteader, Lynda! Using your break time to great advantage! :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Is that all it takes to get figs?? I greatly covet a fig tree...never thought of sticking a fig twig into a pot. What time of year did you do that?

Anonymous said...

I love posts about the cabin. You have not done one for a while. I suggest that you ask for a battery operated carbon monoxide detector for your birthday. Any time you are burning wood they should be number one on your list and number two is a smoke detector. Have a very safe year.

A gardening Friend
Frank from Virginia

1st Man said...

You are missed out here in 'blogland'. Hope all is well.

Leigh said...

Lynda, I haven't visited in forever, but saw your comment on Tami's 500 Dollar Tomato and had to come see if you were posting again. I hope all is well with you!

Lincoln Madison said...

Business Phone Service have an important role to play in the smooth operation of businesses. Being the central communication tool in companies, the quality of the phone system employed is crucial.