Thursday, March 31, 2011

No Helmets

Yesterday I had to run into town to find a ground rod for the electric fence I'm building.  I did a quick buy, drove around the block and at the stop light lo and behold a sight I have not seen in California since 1992...a cute young couple on a motorcycle without helmets...and right behind them:  two law enforcement cars with lights flashing!  I really couldn't believe it...where did this young couple come from: Mars?  How did they get here without helmets?  I started to head for home, shaking my head...at the stop sign out of town, I flipped my truck around...and found the young couple surrounded by even more cop cars...I thought for a minute: Holy Crap they must be escaped criminals or something...I parked about 100 yards away...sure enough they were just being cited for not having helmets.  I stepped up asked the local cop if it was ok if I talked with the young couple...asked them if they wanted to wait I could go to my ranch and pick them up a couple helmets.  The cops stood there with their mouths open:  I asked them if that was ok, they (cops) said sure.  I then asked the young couple where the heck they were from (expecting them to return their answer in a foreign language) the answer: Colorado!  Me: How the heck did you get here (the middle of California) without helmets!?!  They just shrugged their shoulders and gave me a goofy grin.  Me: I don't want to know!  I ran back to the ranch, picked up the two helmets...took them back to town, the cops were gone, the kids were there, the took the helmets. Off they went: after I took one picture.  I'm still a bit speechless:
(that's why the picture was a Wordless Wednesday post).  I expected them to ask for an address to send the helmets back...didn't happen...I expected a handshake and a thank you...didn't happen...altho the little gal did say *great*.  I hopped back in the truck and headed home to finish the fence.  They seemed like nice kids...but I think the crazy old lady with the helmets left them a bit dumb-struck: that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

7 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

If you see the glass as half full, you probably saved two lives. If you see the glass as half empty, they probably sold the helmets and took the $$. Either way, kudos to you for doing the right thing.

Robin said...

That was a very kind deed you did. I agree with Granny...hopefully they will continue to wear the helmets.

I am surprised and then not surprised that you din't recieve a thank-you. I don't know what is happening to manners in this country!!

Anonymous said...

Ummm, where's the photo? Haha!

As far as the kids' manners are concerned, it's too bad they didn't give you a hidy-ho, but I'm sure that's not why you did what you did. You are a nice lady! :)

Lynda said...

Nancy: The photo was my Wordless Wednesday post...great looking kids..he almost looked like he was in the military. They just didn't have much to say. I'm guessing they were shocked they had made it as far as they had without helmets and/or tickets. They would have been in big trouble if they didn't have the helmets...we're an hour away from any store that sells them...that's a L-O-N-G walk!


Robin and Annie's Granny: I used to hate helmets...then 3 years ago I was in a horrible accident with my bike and had I not had the helmet I would not be here today. I know someday these two kids will remember the old gal' that gave them the helmets and will pass on the good Karma.

Alla said...

Colorado?? Hmmmm! We do have some rude ones around here. Well you were sure kind!

Texan said...

Okay I grew up riding bikes and um no we didn't wear helmets, wasn't required in AR ... I know, I know, wouldn't do it now...I will say those kids could have come from Texas helmets are your choice here, I totalllllly think they should wear them! But again as a gal who grew up riding bikes,,,, well what can I say, youth and stupidity can sometimes go hand and hand lol. Though I see people WAY older here riding, no helmets... mercy such a simple thing to do to save your life or keep you from being a vegetable if you crash...

What a VERY, VERY, VERY kind thing you did! You will never know but you may very well have saved one of those kids lives.... very generous of you!

Annie said...

That was a very nice thing you did for those two. I read it and was very surprised. I didn't realize there are states where you don't have to wear a helmet.

The kids were lucky they got pulled over when you were there!