Friday, June 10, 2011

It's Fair Time!

The Colusa County Fair runs from June 9th to the 12th.  Our grandson took his two hogs. This was his first time taking livestock to the fair.  He did pretty good.  8th place in showmanship and both hogs graded Superior for Market.  He plans on selling the gilt.  I'd love to keep her and start raising some piglets...but then I'd probably be in over my head.  It will be up to him.  If he sells her the barrow will go in the my freezer. 



After cheering Vincent on in the show ring it was time for me to get home and plant all those seeds I should have planted 2 months ago.  The squash is in, the peanuts are planted, and so are the carrots.  I was given a flat of seedless watermelon (personal size) and those will go in tomorrow (148 plants) if I can figure out where to plant them.  My boys told me to plant them in the flower beds around the house and I think that's what I'm going to do...they are the bush variety. So the flower beds will have roses, lavender, dahlias, calla lilies, ferns, hosta, alstroemeria, Shasta daisy, penstemon, red and blue saliva, sunflowers, heirloom tomatoes, tomatillos, rosemary, borage, Rose of Sharon, crepe myrtle and acacia...should be interesting...hope I don't confuse the bees!

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Wonderful pics of your grandson!! Thanks for sharing.

littlekarstar said...

Oh wow don't they both look fantastic!

pelenaka said...

I love fair time especially the state fair. Last year a gf & her children were allowed to pitch a tent & spend teh weekend in the fair. They weren't showing or anything . I was so green with envy. Grandson is handsome.

Becoming2911 said...

Thankks for the post