Monday, June 27, 2011

Oh! Beans!

The weekend was all about bean canning at my house.  I have many pounds of dry beans.  My husband used to be a bean grower and now our son is the bean grower.  Every year he grows several hundred acres of  two to four different dry beans: black-eyed, small red kidney, large red kidney, pinto, garbanzo, cranberry, great northerns and pinks.  I keep the burlap sacks of beans in one of the freezers.  I keep half gallon canning jars in the storage pantry filled with dried beans and I also keep up to 50 quart jars of canned beans.  Yeah, that's alot of beans, but they're sorta' free, easy to cook with and really good for you.  My kids can come into the house grab a jar of beans, a jar of stewed tomatoes, fry up some homemade sausage throw the whole thing together and have dinner for 6 or more in less than 10 minutes...much better than a can of Hormel.  The garbanzos make great Hummus and I also marinate them in good olive oil, minced garlic and balsamic vinegar and add to salads (or eaten out of the bowl: oops!).  I open a jar of pintos, melt some bacon fat in a skillet and mash and fry them up to be added to burritos, tacos, bean dip....I'm telling you...beans are the way to go we eat them hot or cold at least once a week, usually more.


The Way I Can Dry Beans:
If you bought your beans from the store you will need to soak them...dry store beans can be up to or over 5 years old...the farmer will hold them in storage until he gets a good price...sometimes for a year or two, then they are sold and the wholesaler may hold them for a couple years...BUT if you're lucky like me you just need to soak them for a bit or not at all....


I put my beans in a pot and par boil for about 10 minutes...then I put them in the sterilized jars, fill to about an inch and a half to the rim, ladle in boiling water and a bit of salt...wipe the rim of the jar and put the lids on, put in the pressure canner...vent for 10 minutes, put on the weight, let the gauge hit 11 pounds and process for 90 minutes...TA! DA!  I did pintos, small reds and garbanzos today.  I did navy, black, Big Red kidneys yesterday and Tuesday I did cranberries and pinks....and that's enough!  I now have plenty of beans for the year, to give to family and friends and to pass on to the food bank (dry beans).

9 comments:

Texan said...

Man I have bean envy! I can eat garbazo beans all I want. No allergies and black eyed peas and Black beans. Pretty much the rest I have to rotate as I have food allergies. We eat a ton of garbanzo. Lucky lucky you to have access to all those beans at the ummm family price LOL.

Andrea said...

Wow! Those are lots of beans! so much patience and effort to can them!

Anonymous said...

Cool beans, Lynda! (groan)

Do you go through alot of Beano at your house? Just asking... :)

Looks delicious. I love beans, but they don't love me. Okay, TMI.

Patricia said...

Ta-Da! You make it sound so easy. I have always been intimidated by canning. My mom did tomatoes and pickles when I was a child and it seemed like such a big job...I just never tried it. I have been turned on to "fresh" dried beans and buy mine online from Rancho Gordo in Napa. Since eating them I find it hard to use canned beans...they actually taste soapy to me. How wonderful for you to have such a supply from your own farm.

Prairie Cat said...

How neat! I made sure to put plenty of dried beans in the ground this year. I have never been much of a fan, but my boyfriend could survive solely on them, I am sure. His only real request for our garden this year was dried beans, so I had to oblige.

Tiggeriffic said...

I have a question? I don't have a pressure cooker, hubby took it to the dump couple years ago.. :( I was not happy..
So can one give these beans a hot bath and get the same results? We go through a lot of beans in the winter time. This would be a great way to have beans on the shelf. annieptigger@aol.com

Deb said...

I have a lot of dried beans and am growing some this summer ... but never thought of canning them. I have a small pressure cooker: dry beans + water = cooked beans in 20 minutes, about the time it takes me to prep whatever I'm going to cook with them.

Jody said...

So many wonderful beans. Thanks for sharing your story.

kitsapFG said...

I like to pressure can dried beans as well - it makes a quick meal on busy nights to just open the can and the beans are always so creamy and tender when processed this way.