I haven't been doing my regular weekly canning since starting the new job and then there was the four day weekend at the cabin. I'm planning on heading back up late Sunday afternoon and staying until Tuesday...so I've ramped up my canning to make up for lost time. Early this a.m. I ran to the local ACE Hardware to pickup more jars: 2 cases for $11.00 and I had a handful of $1.00 off coupons....so I get 20 cases. 10 cases of regular mouth pints and 10 cases of 1/2 pints and quilted jelly jars....FLASH! Read the fine print dummy: pt. regular mouth (in English: pt.= pint). Because I bought soaker hoses and hose repair kits and a few other on sale items I did not notice my mistake until I got home and reviewed the receipt...I'm not happy. To add insult to injury: I took the long way home and stopped by my favorite corn stand (the reason I don't grow corn) and was told by some snot-nosed tweeker "We don't sell by the case." Ok...give me 300 ears. "No lady, then we'd run out and not have enough to sell to the TOURISTS on their way to the Coast or Lake." Are you serious? I know the guy that owns this stand, we're friends, my brother bought his first airplane from him, our kids grew up together: damn...so no more corn for me to can and put in my NOT 2 cases for $11.00 jars. I'm canning Asian pears I rescued from the school lunch garbage...doesn't that sound yucky!? I take a couple white 5 gallon pickle chip buckets of *thrown away* lunch foods to my chickens every day...they love the treats...I'm not a fan of the processed foods we serve the kids, but I'm ok with the chickens getting them. The Asian pears are beautiful. One of my Farmers Market vendors grows them. We had over 6 cases served to the kids...I managed to save 2 five gallon pickle chip buckets of the pears. Today I'm making *applesauce*, *apple* butter and *apple* jelly. I'm also putting up some more pickled beets, poblano peppers for chili rellenos, Hatch chilies, pimentos and jalapeno pepper jelly. I have about 5 gallons of peaches to can and the same amount of figs and elderberries. If all goes well I'll start dehydrating the peppers and then prep the Thompson seedless grapes for dehydrating so I can have raisins. Whatever I dont' finish by Sunday will go up to the cabin with me to be finished up there. Gosh I hate hauling all those supplies up the hill...I wonder if this is the year I purchase a second set of canning supplies for the cabin...what do you think?




13 comments:
We have a u-pick farm where I pick my own corn. I can sorta sympathize with the farm stand guy. It might detract from his overall sales of other produce if the corn is all gone. That's a big draw this time of year. Someone at aforementioned farm picked all the cukes. I'm talking buckets and buckets leaving not a one big enough to pick. When I went back the cukes that matured during the week were a little bigger than I wanted .. but I picked them anyway and just made larger pickles.
Mrs. Mac: Yes, maybe you are right. I have already purchased and processed 6 cases. I have 40 pints, 20 bags of 4 ears each in the freezer and 2 one gallon jars of dehydrated corn...gosh how much corn do I really need? I even have 10 five gallon buckets of old corn a friend gave me for my chickens. Oh, I also have about 300 acres of field corn behind the house that will get havested at the end of the month...geez: I don't need anymore corn! Now, what am I going to do with all of those pint jars?
That would be so frustrating to hear that you couldn't buy as much corn as you wanted. Now where do you go? Good luck.
You are a busy girl and you need a break..Go to the cabin and enjoy yourself~!
ta ta for now from Iowa:)
Why are we throwing food away?
Maybe I missed something...
Sorry Terry: I go through the 8 garbage cans in the Elementary School cafeteria after lunch and *rescue* edibles for the chickens...stuff that's still wrapped (string cheese, packaged pb&j sandwhiches, fruit cups, cold cereal and whole fuit). The Asian pears were whole, the school bought them from one of the local fruit producers here in my county..she's actually one of my farmers market vendors...the school received 6 huge boxes, I dug out 2 boxes and took them home washed and peeled and made applesauce, apple butter and apple jelly.
I really don't like the packaged food that's fixed in the school lunches. We had hot dogs for lunch one day this week. Really, folks. Hot dogs?? We dump sooooo much. It's sad. Whatever happened to "kids going hungry?" Why can't we give some of this stuff to the local food pantry? We have a room full of severely handicapped kids, they have a hard time drinking milk, love juice, but juice is only served on Tuesdays. Can't get juice any other day of the week. Don't know why, except that our "Lunch Lady" is cranky and doesn't like working with people. Oh, don't get me started, please!! --(getting off one of my soapboxes.)
~~Lori
PS, normally I'm not that cranky!!
I'm sorry--I'm a bit confused. If you SELL 300 ears to ONE person, or SELL 300 ears to MANY people, what is the difference?????
He's STILL MADE THE SALE! I would have given him a piece of my mind. Take me with you next time-LOL!!!
It must be frustrating to see the type of food the children are served and how much is wasted. Hopefully, in time you will be able to influence them in to serving better food.
Happy to hear that a lot of the wasted food is going somewhere!
Have a nice time at the cabin!
Sounds like we are dealing with the same issues, Lynda.
I am having issues with being told I am hoarding? I am starting my annual winter pantry stocking and was questioned. I am finding from other blogs I read that I don't list, are having the same issues with being questioned and some are being turned into the local sheriff's office for "hoarding".
How wasteful kids are.
Too bad I wasn't with you when the punk told you that, I would of loved to tangle with him. Money is money. Evidently, he is charging more money to the tourists than the locals*. I think that I would talk to the owner of the stand....
I am canning up a storm too. My neighbor gave me several buckets of white flesh peaches, and I do not turn down free food, period. I am just getting tired and am in a lot of pain, standing processing and canning. I am freezing the peaches until it cools down enough so I can run the canner and not make the house an oven.
Take care and have a great weekend.
"Snot-nosed Tweeker"....HA HA HA.
I now have a new insult to toss out at idiot people!!!
Love it! Thanks Lynda!
Regarding the corn -- I guess it's somewhat like when the grocery stores put limits on how many sale items you can buy -- I never understood it either.
What difference does it make who you sell the corn to? All at once or to a gazillion people? It was the same money right? Good grief.
and bummer on the jars!
Post a Comment