Well, I met my plumbers...sorta'...one showed up. He was an hour and a half late, had no tools, measuring tape, paper and pen or a flashlight. He didn't take notes and kept asking me dumb plumber questions...which I kept answering: "I really don't know...that's why I ran an ad for a plumber...I want the pipes repaired or replaced and then weatherized...then I need a toilet installed. Here's the septic tank, the well house, the waterlines, the bath house where I want the toilet, bathroom sink, shower w/tub and here's the kitchen sink. The pipes are all on the OUTSIDE of the buildings...nothing is under the cabin...see how the water comes shooting out when I turn the hot water line on? I have to keep it closed off...I want that fixed." I didn't even tell the guy I wanted an on-demand tankless hot water heater. By the end of the interview, I asked him to give me a rough estimate to just replace the outside hot water lines, nothing else: just replace the hot water line. He then told me he would charge me by the hour plus an additional $75 a day for fuel (he has a big dually). I asked him if he had a smaller vehicle...nope. He just can't bid the job, because he doesn't know what it's gonna' cost until he prices things out and then estimates the things I need...yes, that's why I need a bid..."Nope ma'am, I don't do bids..by the hour, only." Well, sir: I don't need you to do my plumbing..bye. The other fellow called and said he'd see me on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. He never showed up. Guy number three called from the bar in Butte Meadows late Saturday afternoon and asked me to come and pick him up and take him down to my cabin because he shouldn't be driving. I asked him hand the phone to the barkeep: ME: "Lou how long has this guy been sitting at the bar drinking?" LOU: "Been here for a least 4 hours...whiskey and water with beer chasers..you don't want him down at your cabin." ME: "Thanks, Lou...tell the guy I've hired somebody else." DAMN IT!!!! I think my ad in Craig's List may not have been too bright of an idea...and here I thought it was a winner!
I was so frustrated with my plumber interviews I took a long ride on Sunday instead of heading straight home. I love the meadows that are just everywhere here...lots of cattle, wildflowers, old apple trees, broken down corrals and long ago cattle homesteads. It was a nice calming drive. Again I was reminded how lucky and blessed my life really is. I need to just relax, calm down and my plumber search will eventually come to fruition...no need to stress...life is too short.
![]() |
| These Three Meadows Are Less Than One Mile From Each Other And Within Walking Distance From My Cabin |
![]() |
| Lovely Old Apple Tree I'll Be Visiting In October |
Stopped at Tractor Supply in Chico and picked up 3 Flock Blocks (Fall treats for the hens), 4 cases of pint canning jars and 10 boxes of regular lids and 10 boxes of wide lids...everything was on sale: $5.00 for a case of jars (and I had $1.00 off coupons) and $.99 for the lids (and I had $.50 off coupons)...so I did good! My tomato canning weekend marathon up at the cabin is this coming weekend. It looks like my friend Paula and I will be canning over 300 pounds again this year. I purchased a fruit/tomato press for the Kitchen Aid and I will have my Squeezo. I plan on doing 48 1/2 pints of tomato sauce, 48 pints of pizza/spaghetti sauce, 12 quarts of ketchup, 12 quarts of stewed tomatoes, 12 pints of stewed tomatoes and 24 pints of Tami's Rotel (you'll have scroll her great blog to find it...I printed the recipe and saved it). I still have 15 pints of tomato sauce, 4 pints of pizza sauce, 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce , 4 quarts of stewed tomatoes and 8 quarts of whole tomatoes (won't do those again) from last year's canning. I know it sounds like a ton of tomato products, but I can for my whole family...I'm the "grocery store". I'm also taking the dehydrator to dry my Thompson seedless grapes for raisins. I've been drying figs for three days and think I have enough to tide us over for the Winter.







8 comments:
Boy, you would think with this economy the plumbers would be coming out in droves to bid your job! The only plumbers I know are out of Gridley, and that's a little far. Hopefully you will get something in place before the first freeze. Keep us posted! Oh, nice drive. Beautiful location for a cabin.
~~Lori
I'm so sorry your search for a plumber isn't going very well. We've had this experience a lot. Everyone gripes they want to work, but really, do they???? I thought the craigs list idea was a winner. Pht!
And I'm thinking you were darn smart to talk to the bartender.
It's hard to find good tradesmen, especially plumbers. I'm sure you'll round one up sooner or later.
My goodness you do a lot of canning! That was a great deal on the canning jars and lids! I will have to check the local Tractor Supply and see if they have 1/2 pints. I'm always running out of that size.
Have a fun weekend doing the can can!
I'm headed to tractor supply too!
Pace yourself girl, that's a lot of canning.
I can't understand why your plumber thing didn't work out....
Geez, if I were a plumber I'd be there in a heartbeat!
Not take notes? WHAT!!!
At the bar, oh my.
Have you tried a general contractor that does home repairs/remodels? He/She would probably have some better contacts than what you're finding on Craig's List.It seems quite a large job for your average 'joe' the (butt crack) plumber (LOL). That's what I would do. I'm glad you explained that you're the family grocer .. I was beginning to wonder how you'd eat all the home canned goods. Your family is very blessed to have you ..
Yep...I've moved on to plumbing plan D. During my drive I saw there were at least 4 cabins having work done...this Friday I will stop and see if any of the contractors would come and look at what I need to have done...I should have done that in the first place...I don't know what I was thinking!
I am glad you are blogging about your plumber woes. Because if all else fails you have given us all a good smile. Thanks and good luck! Melissa
I can never understand why it's so difficult to get someone to do a job these days. Or even just to show up. My mom goes through the same thing.
Good luck with Plan D. :)
Post a Comment