Well, I have the goat/poultry electric fence netting and it should be up. But, as with every thing I attempt here at my *LITTLE* Farm it's been a bit more involved than I had counted on. I thought I was getting the whole kit...nope...just the netting and a few poles...no charger/energizer. I have spent the last two days trying to figure out just what kind of energizer I want/need. Do I want to invest in a complete solar system anticipating that in the future I will be needing/using more fencing in remote locations...sure this is something I'd like to do a'la Joel Salatin...Salad Bar Beef, Pigerator Pork, Pastured Poultry and my very own Glorious Grass Grazing Goats, but what if it doesn't work out and I've invested all of those $$$$? Been there done that (that's why I have a $50,000 mobile commercial kitchen). Or do I spend the least amount and get what I pay for and have to do the whole thing over again: bigger and better. Is there resale value in a solar powered charger/energizer thingy? I'm going to go ahead and get the least expensive set-up and if all works out I'll invest in a more professional set-up next Fall. Tomorrow I'll go to Tractor Supply and get what I need...pay cash: no plastic and in a month kick myself in the butt for not getting the better set-up!Friday, January 7, 2011
It's Complicated!
Well, I have the goat/poultry electric fence netting and it should be up. But, as with every thing I attempt here at my *LITTLE* Farm it's been a bit more involved than I had counted on. I thought I was getting the whole kit...nope...just the netting and a few poles...no charger/energizer. I have spent the last two days trying to figure out just what kind of energizer I want/need. Do I want to invest in a complete solar system anticipating that in the future I will be needing/using more fencing in remote locations...sure this is something I'd like to do a'la Joel Salatin...Salad Bar Beef, Pigerator Pork, Pastured Poultry and my very own Glorious Grass Grazing Goats, but what if it doesn't work out and I've invested all of those $$$$? Been there done that (that's why I have a $50,000 mobile commercial kitchen). Or do I spend the least amount and get what I pay for and have to do the whole thing over again: bigger and better. Is there resale value in a solar powered charger/energizer thingy? I'm going to go ahead and get the least expensive set-up and if all works out I'll invest in a more professional set-up next Fall. Tomorrow I'll go to Tractor Supply and get what I need...pay cash: no plastic and in a month kick myself in the butt for not getting the better set-up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Lynda, ask someone at Tractor Supply what would work best for you, based on the length of fencing you will have in the future. No sense buying more than you need. Looking forward to seeing if you buy any goaties at the sale! :)
Can't wait to read more about your goats (Nubians ARE beautiful) and all the yummy things you make from the milk. Educate me please!!! (Grin)
Did you ever get your goats? My memory is really short!
Post a Comment