Monday, January 10, 2011

Seeds to Go

I'm packaging seeds to give to several Community Gardens, Shelters, Churches and Senior Centers.  Some of these seeds are hybrids and some are seeds I saved from my own op seeds.  If you would like seed or know of someone that would like seed, just let me know and I'll send some. I follow the Square Foot Garden theory: don't over plant seeds: no more than 3 to a spot...including teeny-tiny seeds like carrots. You can save most seed for 5 years, so why waste them...they can be pricey little boogers!

Rapini Rabb: Early Fall and Early Spring, Celery: Golden Self-Blanching, Celeriac: Giant Prague, Broccoli: Gypsy and Imperial, Carrots: Zeus and Imperial, Cauliflower: violetta, Collards: Georgia and Bulldog, onion: Mt. Whitney and White Gem, PakChoi: Joi Choi, Bell Pepper: Double Up, Radish: White Globe and Crunchy Royal, Squash: a Hybrid Test no-name, Spaghetti and Turnip: Southern Green and White Lady. My seeds are 2010, some are field tests from commercial seed production, some are my own natural non-certified organic op seed saving. Let me know what you'd like. I also have some squash seed I saved from my own organic op winter squash (Australian Butter, Butternut, Sugar Dumpling and Delicata), but my grand kids used the seed to play a counting game and mixed them up...I'll send a surprise package of those if you have the room and or courage!

10 comments:

Texan said...

Well how nice of you. If you have the extra I would love some of the Celeriac. Been wanting to try that ...

Hey I am having a give away too! Just posted it today. Mine is a drawing type as I couldn't do one for everyone LOL...

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'll take some of the mystery squash seeds. I definitely have the room. Thank you!

Angie said...

I would love to try some of your seeds. A mystery pack would be wonderful. :) Thanks bunches for sharing with us!
Angie Shipley
709 Jim Town Road
Mooresburg, TN 37811

~Laurie~ said...

Hi there!
I came over from Texan! I have to tell you I just moved to Texas (from Maine). Are you in Texas also? I would love to have a mystery pack from you - one that would be appropriate for West Texas. I used to work at a seed company (Johnny's) in Winslow Maine. I am trying to learn about the climate/proper varieties for this new area that we are in. I have SO much to learn - it's a completely different climate then I've grown up in!! If you are in Texas, any advice you may have would be so appreciated :) Thanks!!

PS - I'm missing my chickens - we live in the city and can't have livestock - but I'm looking at property in the country so that I can have my ladies back again! I also like to preserve, quilt and bake too! I am a new follower!!

Lynda said...

Laurie: I'm in Northern California...the Sacramento Valley to be exact. We can grow just about anything here: it's farming country for sure! I try and grow whatever I want...if it works I keep the seeds if it doesn't I try and figure out why or usually I just send the seed on it's way. I'm not good with tomatoes and this is tomato country: there are 2 HUGE tomato processing plants across the field from me AND my son is a commercial tomato grower! I plant tomatoes every year and never get more that 10-20 pounds...but I keep trying!

I love Johnny's...that's the first op/organic seed I started with back in the late 70's early 80's...I'm still collecting seeds from those orginal plantings!...even POTATOES! My first fingerlings were from Johnny's.

Let me know if I have some seed you would like: just experiment...it's fun and a great learning experience.

Kids and Canning Jars said...

What a good thing you do!!! I would love to try anything you are willing to send. I am brave.
Melissa

Kim said...

This is so generous of you to share your seeds!! I have a couple of spots in my garden plan I have been wondering what to plant. If you can spare it, I'd love to try the celery.

PS. I'm tomato-challenged myself! =)

Lynda said...

Melissa and Kim I have seeds ready for you...send me an address and they'll be sent out on Monday. my email for the seed is:
colusacountyfood@hotmail.com.

Peggy said...

Came by way of the Texan and would really love some of your celery seed. I have never tried growing celery though we always garden every year. thank you,
Peggy Lineberry
584 Stoney Point Road
Fayetteville, NC 28304

Kim said...

Thank you so much Lynda. Email sent! =)